Jane C. Morgan, an alumna of Wells College class of 1934, established Jane Morgan’s Little House in 1962. Its original location was the law office of Eleazer Burnham, which he built in 1845 and modeled after his home across the street. In the early days of the business, Jane carried 10 lines and rented the second floor of the shop as an apartment.
In 1974, Jane hired Randi, who came to Wells from Bronxville, NY and stayed beyond graduation when she met and married Steve Zabriskie. After working twenty years together Jane retired at age 82 and turned the business over to Randi, who doubled sales in her first year of ownership. She went from only being responsible for buying the jewelry lines to being the sole buyer and director of operations.
By 2006 the business had grown so much that it outgrew its little house. Friends and family helped make the move down the street to the newly restored historic Wood House across from the Aurora Inn.
Today in the beautiful 2000 square foot space, Jane Morgan’s is alive and well. Randi has cultivated a thriving business with a following of lovely and loyal customers from around Central New York and across the country.
From one fashion show a year at the Aurora Inn to nearly two dozen a year across the Finger Lakes region, it’s been a 50 year evolution and a labor of love. And thanks to Pleasant Rowland of American Girl Doll fame, Aurora is experiencing a renaissance and a new chapter of its history is being written. Jane Morgan’s Little House is proud to be a part of that and excited to be dressing another generation of discerning women.